After a 2 week long hiatus,I got some time to post this. I wanted to write about something different,which has always been my companion.Since childhood,I am having an on & off relation with it and now,I have come to accept it. It has changed my thinking about the way I look and carry myself in the world.
Yes! I am talking about a skin condition.If you have followed me since the beginning,I had written some posts regarding it and now that again the chilly weather is going to set in India,this is the perfect time to share with you. I have been suffering from Atopic Dermatitis/Eczema/Itchy dry skin rash condition. It usually starts from childhood and is genetic in nature.If you have someone in your family who has this or is suffering from Asthma,then you are at risk.
I know you are thinking,what’s the relation between skin and lungs? My doctor told me that usually if you suppress lung condition,it shows on your skin and vice versa.I have the skin condition and my brother had Asthma.Luckily,his case got over in his teens only. 🙂 My family line from mom’s and dad’s side,have these and so I inherited them pretty easily. 😛 My dad’s side had Asthma and Psoriasis and my mom’s side,well my mom herself has eczema. :-\
When my allergies were suppressed,I developed cold and cough which refused to go away easily.This happened when I was taking Allopathy meds.Nowadays,I am currently on Homoeopathy again and they have balanced the two.Sometimes the allergies go away,sometimes they are just hovering on the skin.
In India,people are not aware of this and usually mistake it for skin rash and apply steroids or prickly heat powder.In doing so,you are basically harming the skin more.I have vowed to stay away from steroids myself.
Eczema is not communicable disease and usually it comes & goes with seasons,food intake or any allergent you are allergic to.With these things keeping in mind,I want to share some tips to go through it and embrace it,rather than feeling low . I walk with confidence and don’t care what people think.Nobody is perfect but everybody is beautiful in their own way. 🙂
- Since it is dry skin condition,moisturizing is the key. Wherever,you have dry flaky patches,apply creams.Creams are thicker than lotions & oils and provide more moisturization so use it according to the degree of dryness you have.On my body,I use coconut oil after bath.It is light in nature and gets readily absorbed,providing shine to the skin and softness.I have done a post on this.You can read it for how to use as a moisturizer. I use Avene Trixera cream on my cheeks twice a day.It soothes the skin,makes it less itchy and red.
- Your skin barrier is broken so it has lost its capacity to hold moisture and so the dryness.To repair the barrier,Take vitamins and supplements for the skin,either in the form of fruits and veggies or tablets. My doctor suggested me to take Vitamin A tab half yearly for a week.Currently I am having collagen tablets once a day for the skin for a month.Also I am applying hand cream at night called Logifeel cream which has Glycolic acid.This is required by the skin to keep it hydrated.This has actually made my hands appear more softer.
- Avoid exfoliating when you have eczema.Your skin is already inflamed and doing this will aggravate the dryness further.
- Cleansing is equally important to remove the rapid buildup of dead skin which is causing the flakiness and dryness.I use cream based cleansers during Autumn/winter as my skin becomes drier.My favourite is Aroma Magic aloe vera cleanser.I have done a review on it.You can check it out here.Also I am using Avene Trixera emollient cleanser.I am having trouble understanding this one though as it is bit drying in nature,but soothes the skin and reduces inflammation.So I don’t know why is is called emollient.For the body I am using Nutraclin cleanser .This one is my saviour since last winter.Read here what I like about it.
- Dry weather causes loss of moisture from the skin.So cover the areas which are exposed when going out.I usually cover my face with a scarf.Humidifiers are good for indoors.Also keep yourself hydrated by drinking water.
- Avoid taking long baths in hot water.They may feel relaxing but renders the skin drier.
- Even if you don’t have outbreak of eczema on your skin,it is best to follow the skincare strictly.Prevention is your friend.
- If you can’t stay away from makeup,then go for cream based or water based foundations.They will provide the moisturization.Also choose products wisely after seeing the ingredients.
- Aloe vera is a natural remedy for dryness and sensitive skin.Also shea butter,kokum butter etc are good natural alternatives for artificial creams.You can try them.I did a product review on aloe vera gel available .Check it out here.
All the above are personally tested by me and so far,are working for me.If you want to know more about eczema or maybe suggest something to deal with it,do pen it down in the comment box below.Also,to know about any product mentioned above,let me know in the comment section and I will do a review on it happily. 🙂
See you all in the next post,byeee,take care..:-* and Love Thyself.